Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pushing the Envelope

My brother saw a commercial during a Super Cross (dirt bike) event for condoms. My brother isn't a prude, but to hear him describe the commercial. Sheesh. A couple was basically having sex with certain spots blurred out. 
I don't know if any of you have sons, but mine are enamored with dirt bikes. They beg their dad to record these events off of television. What if they'd seen that commercial? 
I admit I'm overly sensitive to all the sex and violence in our media, but I think most parents want to protect their children from such exposure. 
What do you think? Are the commercials and shows too risque? Do you screen what your family views? Is there anything we can do besides unplugging cable to protect our families?

4 comments:

Laurie LC Lewis said...

Hi Cami! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!

As a grandmother, I really appreciate this topic. The commercials are becoming more worrisome than some of the shows. I'm a firm believer in the power of the almighty dollar. When shows air commerical material that clearly exceeds the rating of the show itself, I write the network and the sponsor and threaten to pull my business. A show rated for families should have "family friendly" ads. If they violate my trust, I'm outta there, and so is my money to their sponsors. They do respond.

Caroline said...

Cami, this blog is close to my heart. I am blown away at the things people just don't see in our primetime shows and advertising. I am agast how each year the producers push the envelope farther and father. Last year I got involved with an organization called Parents Television Council. I think you might enjoy looking around the site.
ttp://www.parentstv.org/

Thanks for the interesting blog...
Hugs,
~Caroline

Cami Checketts said...

Laurie,

Thanks for stopping by. You are awesome to write the networks. I need to be more proactive! Thanks for the great idea,
Cami

Cami Checketts said...

Hi Caroline,
I will definitely look into The Parents Television Council. That's something I wouldn't mind volunteering for. My solution has just been no tv except for an occasional Discovery Channel show where Daddy fast-forwards the commercials, but my husband is convinced our sons are becoming geeks! Plus, something like this helps protect other children.
Hugs,
Cami