Monday, June 29, 2009

Squandering Time

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of." by Benjamin Franklin
This was the title of a recent workshop I attended at BYU Women's Conference. I was excited to hear the speakers, certain they would tell me to get my stuff together, to be more effective. Instead they advised us all to slow down, to decide what is most important and focus on that.
I, along with most parents, will tell you my children are the most important people in my world, but do I spend the time nurturing and enjoying that relationship as much as I could? 
I don't watch television so that isn't a drain on my time, but I am guilty of spending hours in front of a computer screen - writing novels, articles, and blogs, twittering, Facebooking, e-mailing. How do I keep this all in perspective so I can accomplish my writing goals yet still put my family first? 
The only idea I've come up with are set writing times. Starting this week I will be in my office from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. As soon as my time is up the computer is shut down and the office door locked. If I'm in the middle of a sentence, I'll just have to hope my failing memory can recall how I was going to describe Alex's eyes. 
I pray these set hours will work well for me and my family. 

How do you keep work, family, and leisure activities balanced? 

4 comments:

SARTH said...

Setting a schedule to write is a good thing. Even if you do nothing more than brainstorm or research. Stick to it.

Cami Checketts said...

Thanks. It's good to remember that even if the word count isn't going up, it's still time well-spent.
Best of luck to you,
Cami

Christine Thackeray said...

I've tried that but am awful about staying within my own limits. Too often I rebel even against myself. I hope it works for you.

Colette said...

I know you wrote this one a long time ago, but I think it is interesting to consider how distracted I have become with a new cell phone, computer activities, and keeping up with family. There simply isn't any way to do a good job at something if your mind is elsewhere and I can't think of another way to focus, then by schedling your specific time to be a "writer" or a "researcher" or whatever.
One thing I try to do, is each day my goal is to 'check in' with the Lord (read my scriptures) before checking the computer. I need to focus on keeping the same rule with my new fancy cell phone, but I am glad to read your reinforcing message.
Colette Moss